Wednesday, March 31, 2010

THE BLOG LIVES ON!

Reading a small nugget of scripture has proven to be a helpful and possible thing for many over the course of Lent. I know that I have gained great insight from the discipline of turning off the voices of the world, even for a few moments, and listening to what God is trying to say to me.

So....let's keep it going!

Beginning Monday, we'll take on a new adventure....."THE ADVENTURES OF DAVID".

I've broken down the story of David, which is found in 1 and 2 Samuel into sections of 5-10 verses. We'll be getting to know David in small bites for the next several months....actually into August. I hope that you will continue to make this a daily practice. This will be a bit different than listening to God's voice in the parables. We'll be listening to God's voice as it played itself out in the life of the one in whose name he came, "The Son of David", Jesus.

If you have any suggestions, go ahead and suggest in the comments. This could make the summer an interesting journey!

3 comments:

rjq said...

I am excited about this idea moving forward. The stories of David are amazing. People like Mephibosheth, Doeg and Abigail have been forgotten or ignored. The story of David in the cave has not made it into many Sunday School lessons. Sunday we are releasing "THE WORD" from the box. Just wait to see what happens in the David story when God was kept in the box!

Yes Jesus became incarnate. He had a real birth and real death, but he was still God. In the David story, we see ourselves and our humanness. There is not one miracle in the story of David.

Reading the David stories have helped me understand questions that I admit struggling with. A quote from Eugene Peterson's book "Leap over a wall"......THERE'S NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, THAT GOD CAN'T AND DOESN'T USE TO WORK HIS SALVATION AND HOLINESS INTO OUR LIVES. IF WE'RE GOING TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THE JESUS STORY, WE'LL WANT FIRST TO SOAK OUR IMAGINATIONS IN THE DAVID STORY.

As you can tell, I can't wait.

KevKat said...

No I can't tell RJQ! And I don't think you had any discussion with Pastor J about David! JK I know that you love these stories and am looking forward to your comments on the blog about them. Just don't get ahead of yourself :)

rjq said...

Sorry.