Friday, April 9, 2010

Apr. 10

1 Sam. 17:24-30
24 All the Israelites, when they saw the man, fled from him and were very much afraid. 25The Israelites said, ‘Have you seen this man who has come up? Surely he has come up to defy Israel. The king will greatly enrich the man who kills him, and will give him his daughter and make his family free in Israel.’ 26David said to the men who stood by him, ‘What shall be done for the man who kills this Philistine, and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?’ 27The people answered him in the same way, ‘So shall it be done for the man who kills him.’
28 His eldest brother Eliab heard him talking to the men; and Eliab’s anger was kindled against David. He said, ‘Why have you come down? With whom have you left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know your presumption and the evil of your heart; for you have come down just to see the battle.’ 29David said, ‘What have I done now? It was only a question.’ 30He turned away from him towards another and spoke in the same way; and the people answered him again as before.

BLOG DISCUSSION QUESTION: "David, what are you doing here?".....anyone ever ask you that?

3 comments:

KD said...

At least the nation of Israel knew to fear unequal yolking which doesnt seem to mean anything today unfortunately. David did his deeds to please God because he listened, trusted, and obeyed. Defying God? Never. To his death? Nope. David knew he had better things ahead for God his Father and King than for that to happen. Faith-yes. God's will-completely. There is nothing to loose. His unbeliving brothers didnt want to give God the glory. People on Gods side will be persecuted because others don't realize ther is a difference between ther and God's elect. Missunderstood-yes God will be the one they will hate.

rjq said...

When they asked why David was there, I am sure it was not out of concern for unattended sheep.
The same question would not be a very welcoming question for first time visitors at church. David's brothers doubted he could do anything good in challenge that was presented. Jesus also faced rejection from his brothers.

While the Israelites feared the challenge from Goliath, David viewed it at one man against the ARMIES of the living God. Today David demonstrates the difference between obeying and defying God, but even God's chosen will soon stumble....good news for me.

Pastor Jerry said...

"What are you doing here?"

Some years ago when I was a pastor in Toledo, and looked like I was at most 15 years old, I walked into a funeral home to meet with a family that I had never met before. I was to do the funeral for the husband, and I was met at the door by his brother in law. I introduced myself (with as low of voice as possible) as the pastor who would be doing the service. He took a look at me and said rather abruptly, "Ok. Follow me." I was a bit surprised by his directiveness. He walked me into the visitation room that was half full of people. An elderly lady was sitting down on one of the soft chairs, and he walked us up to her. When we arrived, he said, "Lois, I hate to tell you, but this is the pastor."

MMMMMM....wonder if God used me, as unexpected as I was, like he used David.