Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thursday, Apr. 29

1 Sam. 22:6-10
6 Saul heard that David and those who were with him had been located. Saul was sitting at Gibeah, under the tamarisk tree on the height, with his spear in his hand, and all his servants were standing around him. 7Saul said to his servants who stood around him, ‘Hear now, you Benjaminites; will the son of Jesse give every one of you fields and vineyards, will he make you all commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds? 8Is that why all of you have conspired against me? No one discloses to me when my son makes a league with the son of Jesse, none of you is sorry for me or discloses to me that my son has stirred up my servant against me, to lie in wait, as he is doing today.’ 9Doeg the Edomite, who was in charge of Saul’s servants, answered, ‘I saw the son of Jesse coming to Nob, to Ahimelech son of Ahitub; 10he inquired of the Lord for him, gave him provisions, and gave him the sword of Goliath the Philistine.’

BLOG DISCUSSION QUESTION:Sounds like Saul feels like he doesn't have a friend in the world...do you feel any pity for him?

2 comments:

KD said...

First,is Sauls thoughts were not Christian. One of Sauls false thoughts is that David was going to kill him. He was on false defense. Second is here are some tough questions. At the beginning of Sauls kingship, how and why did he get there? Did God give Saul an evil spirit for his good or for the peoples judgement? Are the people of Israel changing? Is this period of time a God given discipline, or are they just in awe of Davids and his God given powers? Will Gods people alter His will,plan or mission? Is Sauls disobedience and association with unchosen resemble his people? Is Sauls hard heart his or is it a reflection of Israel? Will Israel really follow David? Did they follow their past fathers? Look back in the Bible, look ahead in the Bible, see what you find.

Pastor Jerry said...

I find myself feeling some pity, if not compassion for Saul. It is hard for anyone to see their hopes and dreams crumble in front of them. Who amongst us could just as easily find ourselves in the same boat as Saul, seeing everything we had worked for vanishing because of our own doing.

Thank God that in Jesus we hear God's answer to our vanishing hopes. "I am with you," says the Lord in Jesus, "and I take what is crumbled and make brand new."

Someone once said the Gospel can be boiled down to these few words, "You cannot blow it."

In light of Saul's predicament, that is GOOD news!