Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sunday, Apr. 18

1 Sam. 19:1-7
Saul spoke to his son Jonathan and to all his servants about killing David. But Saul’s son Jonathan took great delight in David. 2Jonathan told David, ‘My father Saul is trying to kill you; therefore be on guard tomorrow morning; stay in a secret place and hide yourself. 3I will go out and stand beside my father in the field where you are, and I will speak to my father about you; if I learn anything I will tell you.’ 4Jonathan spoke well of David to his father Saul, saying to him, ‘The king should not sin against his servant David, because he has not sinned against you, and because his deeds have been of good service to you; 5for he took his life in his hand when he attacked the Philistine, and the Lord brought about a great victory for all Israel. You saw it, and rejoiced; why then will you sin against an innocent person by killing David without cause?’ 6Saul heeded the voice of Jonathan; Saul swore, ‘As the Lord lives, he shall not be put to death.’ 7So Jonathan called David and related all these things to him. Jonathan then brought David to Saul, and he was in his presence as before.

BLOG DISCUSSION QUESTION: I wonder what David must have been thinking when Jonathan told David that he and David were going to meet Saul.

2 comments:

KD said...

God for His glory sent a evil spirit to iritate Saul. This guy didnt hide his hate. He is getting more mean daily. Thanks to Jonathan Saul calms down.

Pastor Jerry said...

David must have had a lot of trust in his friend Jonathan. To trust Jonathan's word over against the spoken intent of Saul to kill David, must have taken more trust in David's friendship with Jonathan than one can imagine.

Maybe I am out of touch with the lives of most people, but it seems to me in the world we live in today, such friendships are hard to find and maintain. In our world where communication takes place over face book, I phones, text messages, and all things electronic, we don't create as deep of friendships...at least as I see it.

There is something about being face to face, side by side, shoulder to shoulder with someone that allows for a deepening of friendships....a deepening that just doesn't come over fiber optic wires.

It seems to me that that is exactly why Jesus came...to be with us face to face, side by side, and shoulder to shoulder....that we might be deep friends with him...that we might trust him...trust him as much, or even more, than David was able to trust Jonathan.