Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thursday, Apr. 22

1 Sam. 20:12-17
12 Jonathan said to David, ‘By the Lord, the God of Israel! When I have sounded out my father, about this time tomorrow, or on the third day, if he is well disposed towards David, shall I not then send and disclose it to you? 13But if my father intends to do you harm, the Lord do so to Jonathan, and more also, if I do not disclose it to you, and send you away, so that you may go in safety. May the Lord be with you, as he has been with my father. 14If I am still alive, show me the faithful love of the Lord; but if I die, 15never cut off your faithful love from my house, even if the Lord were to cut off every one of the enemies of David from the face of the earth.’ 16Thus Jonathan made a covenant with the house of David, saying, ‘May the Lord seek out the enemies of David.’ 17Jonathan made David swear again by his love for him; for he loved him as he loved his own life.

BLOG DISCUSSION QUESTION: It is true that Jonathan has been doing all the promising....verse 17 is interesting....trust is a two way street, isn't it?

1 comment:

Pastor Jerry said...

So far we've noticed that David was the one in need of reassurance from Jonathan....but, as if an afterthought, Jonathan realizes that he is likewise out on a limb.....so he asks David to give his pledge of love and honor.

Relationships are a two way street. Anyone remember having a crush on someone who was ice cold toward you. Such a situation is a recipe for anguish.

Although none of us is perfect, it is likewise true that each of us, as a child of God, brings a unique blessing into a relationship. When one know how lucky one is to have another as a friend, but forgets how lucky the other is likewise to have you as a friend is setting one's self up for being manipulated and hurt.

Jonathan was blessed to have David as a friend, but David was no less blessed to have Jonathan as a friend.